DDW Home > System Operator
Become a Certified System Operator
Certified Operator News
- Operator Certification Program Brochure 2013
- Official Operator Certification Exam Application
As of July 1, 2009, all applicants must fill out the Citizenship/Alien ID Certification form and mail it into the Division.
- 2013 Traditional Exam Schedule
- This year's exam dates: Nov 7, 2013
- The Certified Water Operator Exam is now available online
- You must apply for the exam through the Rural Water Association of Utah
- Rural Water will arrange an exam date, time, location and proctor with you.
- See the flyer for details (Online Exam Available)
- Contact Vern Steel (Rural Water) at 801.756.5123 for more information.
Study Helps Available
Questions on all tests are based on information contained in Reference Books Used in the Operator Certification Examination. Books and tapes are available from our Lending Library to help you study. Contact Margaret Hand (801) 536-4192 for more information.
Various presentations are also available:
- Basic Math
- Advanced Math
- O&M Distribution
- O&M Treatment
- Safety and Security
- Rules Update
and here are some practice questions to help you prepare for the test:
- Distribution Study Guides: Basic (doc) (pdf) & Advanced (doc) (pdf)
- Treatment Study Guides: Basic (doc) (pdf) & Advanced (doc) (pdf)
Calculators (including programmable calculators) are allowed in the test room. Laptop computers and books are not allowed. Notes are not allowed. However, a Summary of Important Conversions, Formulas and Equations (pdf) will be handed out to each participant at the beginning of the test.
The American Water Works Association (AWWA) has an On-line Institute which also provides training resources. AWWA and ABC have joined forces to publish a new Operator Certification Study Guide. The Guide offers 560 sample questions that although not the same as those on certification exams, are similar in form and content. The Guide includes practice questions, answers, and reference to the question locations for further review. Questions are organized by certification level and have separate sections that apply to treatment and distribution operators. The Guide is available through the AWWA Bookstore and the per copy cost is $53 for AWWA members or $80 for nonmembers. You may order online or by calling 1-800-926-7337. The catalogue reference number is 20517.
Rural Water Association of Utah also has recently implemented an online testing center where sample questions are offered ($17 for 40 questions or $8 for 15 questions).